Call for Editorial Team Proposals
Victorian Literature & Culture
Rachel Ablow and Daniel Hack are completing their tenure and at the end of 2023 will be stepping down as Co-Editors of Victorian Literature & Culture (VLC). VLC published volume 50 in 2022.
Cambridge University Press is now inviting applications for editorial teams for an initial term of five years (2024–2028). Single editors, co-editors, or other editorial team structures are all welcome to apply. Final appointment decisions will be made by the Syndicate of Cambridge University Press.
The deadline for applications is March 15, 2023.
Victorian Literature and Culture seeks to publish innovative scholarship of broad interest to the field. They are especially interested in work that contributes or responds to the current moment of heightened methodological reflection, theoretical energy, and formal experimentation. They welcome submissions that aim to reimagine the field of Victorian studies in the twenty-first century, whether by interrogating the field’s scope, boundaries, methods, and shibboleths; leveraging new or neglected conceptual resources; exploring new archives; discovering or establishing new crossfield connections; or engaging anew with the field’s own history. They are open to experiments in genre and form and welcome queries about the suitability of particular submissions.
Interested applicants should send a curriculum vitae and cover letter along with an abbreviated development plan (not to exceed two pages) and the names and email addresses of three referees, to Amy Laurent at Cambridge University Press (details below).
Editorial responsibilities will include:
- Shaping the strategic direction of the journal, in cooperation with Cambridge
- Organizing and managing the editorial office, with support from Cambridge
- Managing the peer review process (using the ScholarOne system)
- Making final article acceptance decisions
- Editing and proofing articles for the journal
- Proposing and working with members of an active Advisory Board
- Attending relevant conferences, where possible, and an annual editorial meeting
In your application, please indicate your:
- Experience publishing in the field
- Editorial experience, ideally with an academic journal
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and work as part of a team
- Strong professional and academic links
- Organizational, communication and IT skills
- Institutional support, financial or otherwise, to aid your work on the journal
- Proposed plan for development, including areas such as:
- Engagement of journal reviewers and editorial board members
- Areas of focus for commissioning
- Journal metrics
Please direct applications and any questions to Amy Laurent, Publisher, Cambridge University Press at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use VLC Call for Editor as your email subject line.