"The Preserves of the Imagination in Victorian Science"
Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
November 16-18, 2017
The organisers invite paper proposals for a panel on "The Preserves of the Imagination in Victorian Science" for NAVSA's 2017 conference. This panel explores the role and domain of the imagination in Victorian science.
Topics may include:
- Invitations for readers of scientific texts to imagine experiences or objects
- Thought experiments
- Fictional scientific objects (e.g. the ether)
- Scientific models and modeling in the Victorian period
- Role of the imagination in scientific practice/discovery
- Risks of imagining/hypothesizing
- Scientific creativity
- Imaginative pursuits of Victorian scientists
Papers dealing with Victorian physics are particularly welcomed.
Please send 500-word abstracts to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com by January 13, 2017.