The theme of the 2016 VSAO conference is “Vicarious Victorians: Transmitting Experience in the Nineteenth-Century.” Professors Rachel Ablow (U Buffalo) and Jules Law (Northwestern U) will serve as our two plenary speakers.
Proposals are invited that interpret the theme of vicariousness – across spaces, eras, bodies, genres, and media – in broad, interdisciplinary, and imaginative ways. Papers might address:
- virtual tourism, armchair imperialism
- simulations, dioramas, panoramas, maps
- translation, adaptation, reenactment
- identification, sympathy, empathy
- embodiment, psychosomatic phenomena, hypnotism and mesmerism
- photography, telegraphic realism, sound and film technologies
Please send electronic copies of proposals (300–500 words) and brief biographical sketches to email@example.com by 5 February 2016.
To learn more about the VSAO, upcoming events, and membership, please visit http://vsao.apps01.yorku.ca.