“Elizabeth Von Arnim”
This conference will re-evaluate the writing of Elizabeth von Arnim (1866-1941). Von Arnim’s complex, intelligent and witty novels were critically acclaimed and immensely popular during her lifetime, but until recently they have received little academic attention. This conference aims to shed fresh light on the contemporary contexts of von Arnim’s work and the literary hierarchies and values that have shaped her reputation.
Papers are invited on all aspects of von Arnim’s work and career. Suggested topics include:
- Contexts: understanding von Arnim’s writing in the context of the fin de siècle, the New Woman, middlebrow, modernism, World War 1 and 2, and women’s writing.
- Literary relationships with other writers such as E. M. Forster, Hugh Walpole, Katherine Mansfield, H. G. Wells and Frank Swinnerton.
- Intertexts: tracing the influences of writers such as the Brontes and Jane Austen.
- Forms: gardening, diary and epistolary novels; music; adaptation for film, theatre.
- International perspective: the importance of Switzerland, France, Germany and the USA in her writing and career.
For more information: http://elizabethvonarnim.wordpress.com/ "
Proposals of 400 words for 20-minute papers should be sent to email@example.com.